Useful Group is looking for a talented manager to support our team as we scale to the next level. We’re seeking someone with strong business instincts and agency and/or operations experience who will contribute to our overall effectiveness as a service agency.
The Agency Operations Manager (AOM) would lead and support agency operations and other strategic initiatives at Useful Group. Working within and across our team, this person will be heavily involved in facilitating cross-teams collaboration, shaping systems and processes, and building strong internal and external relationships. This quasi-chief-of-staff role requires a strong collaborator who is adept at working across organizational structures, dynamic networks, and varied personalities.
For this role, living in Aurora, IL or the greater Chicago area is highly preferred.
Useful Group is a team of strategists, creatives, and problem-solvers helping great missions be more effective. Our 20+ team members (spread across four states) work with organizations and individuals in marketing, branding, website development, and other endeavors. Learn more at UsefulGroup.com.
Skills & Culture
The Agency Operations Manager must be a quick learner with a strong working knowledge of service-based businesses. They can think strategically and systematically, craft documentation to support decision-making, and are extremely diligent in executing their responsibilities.
The AOM must be a strong fit with Useful Group’s collaborative, fast-paced, and creative culture. They take initiative to troubleshoot, solve problems, and work independently with minimal direction. They balance innovation and efficiency. They value feedback and collaboration, and a willingness to learn and develop skills is essential. They must share Useful Group’s mission and core values and be comfortable working with diverse people regardless of race, political affiliation, gender, faith, or culture.
- CEO Support — Applying tactical decision-making to support execution of CEO’s direction / intent.
- Agency Operations — Working closely with CEO and Ops team to support all teams (could include overseeing some basic HR and Accounts Payable/Receivable functions).
- Organizational Processes — Working closely with CEO, CTO, Team Leads, Ops, and Project Managers to shape and document agency processes as the agency grows.
- Team Leads Support — Building relationships with team leaders and project leaders across Useful Group, understanding their challenges and opportunities.
- Client Engagement / Client Health — Monitoring external client relationships to ensure we are consistently useful, collaborative, and reliable in meeting their needs. This role will be client-facing at times, and you will be meeting with agency clients, prospective clients, and agency partners.
- Scheduling / Optimizations — Understanding time spent in meetings across team members and helping eliminate redundancies, facilitate efficiencies, etc.
- Project leadership / Project management
- Exceptional organizational and prioritization skills (with the ability to meet deadlines)
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Information gathering, analysis, reporting
- Able to work behind the scenes, but also comfortable leading out front where needed
- Poise and grace under pressure
- The ideal candidate has 3+ years of management or operations experience in an advertising, creative, publishing, or marketing agency context