Useful Group is looking for a Graphic Designer with a passion for building brands and communicating through design. In this role, you will collaborate with our design team, as well as team members across Useful Group (marketing, content, etc.), to ideate, plan, and create unique logos and brand identities (brand color palettes, typography styles, custom visual elements, etc.) for our clients.
While logo/visual identity design would be the designer’s focus, that does not mean that they wouldn’t work on projects in other areas of design. Just as the current design team works on design projects in many different areas (print, digital, web, etc.), this designer will have the chance to do the same. Your work may include design on a variety of other projects, including marketing graphics, podcast cover design, print and digital ads, brochures, presentations, typeset resources, and web layouts.
Useful Group is a team of strategists, creatives, and problem-solvers helping great missions be more effective. Our 22 team members (spread across four states) work with organizations and individuals in marketing, branding, website development, and other endeavors. Learn more at UsefulGroup.com.
Experience / Proficiencies
- Experience creating high-quality logo concepts from ideation/sketching to vector\
- Experience extending a visual brand identity beyond a logo by creating various brand assets (color palette, typography, brand collateral design, etc.)
- Experience building out a brand guide with instructions on how to implement various brand assets
- A bachelor’s degree in visual communications (graphic design) or the equivalent is preferred but not required. Either way, the portfolio should show a strong understanding of foundational design skills (typography, color theory, layout, understanding of hierarchy, etc.) and senior-level logo and brand identity design experience.
- 3-5 years of experience designing visual identities for various brands is strongly preferred. The designer will have enough experience to take on small or complex branding projects.
- Preferably able to work in person at the Aurora, Illinois office on a weekly basis in order to collaborate with the designers and other team members
- Proficient in the Adobe (especially Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign) and Google suites
- Able to create vector logos and other graphics using adobe illustrator
- Knowledge of Basecamp 3 is a bonus
- Custom website design experience (using Adobe XD) is a bonus
Skills & Culture
- Able to juggle multiple projects at once
- Skilled in collaboration and working within a team
- Flexible, adapting to changing processes depending on the needs of the client
- Comfortable educating clients on a direction that’s best for their audience
- Empathetic and thoughtful, seeking to understand the client’s desires
- Self-assured in their design decisions to advocate for the work
- Skilled in conceptualizing and executing high quality logos
- Able to generate unique graphics and iconography
- A creative and conceptual thinker
- A skilled illustrator (this is not required, but it would be a significant plus)
- Work closely with other designers, content strategists, marketing strategists, etc., to ideate and execute high-quality brand identities
- Conduct research into clients and their industries as well as design trends and requirements in order to begin shaping the brand identity
- Participate in design team critiques to give and receive constructive feedback
- Work within deadlines
- Communicate with clients when needed to pitch, explain, guide, etc.