This is a full-time back-end developer role, reporting to our Chief Technical Officer (CTO) and supporting Useful Group’s development services.
The back-end developer will work closely with the CTO and development team across multiple projects and clients with an emphasis on strategic problem solving and back-end development activity. The CTO is currently performing the majority of back-end development and is looking for a candidate who can support and own back-end development tasks for an ongoing pipeline of projects. This will enhance the current project flow and reduce the chance of bottlenecking new project activity.
While some repetitive tasks are part of this position, week-to-week tasks may vary based on Useful Group’s needs. The most important responsibility of the back-end developer is to ensure back-end development tasks are completed efficiently and effectively.
Useful Group is a team of strategists, creatives, and problem-solvers helping great missions be more effective. Our 22 team members (spread across four states) work with organizations and individuals in marketing, branding, website development, and other endeavors. Learn more at UsefulGroup.com.
Experience / Proficiencies
- Standard server management (File permissions, services, etc.)
- Continuous integration and automated deployment pipelines
- Server technologies like Redis or ElasticSearch
- RESTful APIs, OAuth, and GraphQL
- WP-CLI and other CLI Tools
- Postman, Swagger, or other API testing and documentation tools
Skills & Culture
In addition to working directly with the CTO, the back-end developer will also work with members across our organization. They’ll need to be able to collaborate and communicate well with these team members, maintaining a supportive, positive spirit and not gossiping, complaining, or making excuses.
The person in this role must be a collaborative, quick learner with the ability to adapt in an ever-changing landscape. The ideal candidate is able to think proactively, place the benefit of the team and clients ahead of their own convenience, and reduce friction for other team members in completing their work. They are a strong fit with Useful Group’s collaborative, fast-paced, and creative culture. They take initiative to solve problems and work independently with minimal direction—balancing creativity and efficiency.
Candidates should value feedback and have a willingness to learn. They should also take initiative in developing their skills. The candidate should share Useful Group’s mission and core values and be comfortable working with diverse people regardless of gender, race, political affiliation, faith, or culture.
The back-end developer will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Managing hour based retainer projects directly with the client which involves, but not limited to, executing bug fixes, web updates, client user training, client communication, hitting deadlines
- Maintaining existing projects
- Building new features such as scripts for data migration or creative code solutions for web functionality requirements for existing project deliverables
- Architecting strategy and structure for new project deliverables to improve consistent coding practices and to drive project efficiency
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use
- Performance optimization
- Building custom integrations
- In depth debugging
- Implementation of security
The back-end developer must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 3-5 years experience working as a back-end web developer on production sites
- 3+ years experience working on WordPress sites
- Extensive experience implementing complex custom WordPress sites/Plugins
- Skilled at crafting modern PHP (for example: OOP, PHP 7, Composer, or Laravel)
- A comprehensive understanding of what it takes to write secure and performant code
- Thorough knowledge of WordPress, PHP and MySQL
- Excellent understanding of OOP, software development life cycle and better practices
- Familiar with standard development flow (Local, Staging, Production)
- Knowledge of servers, databases and common software architectures
- Fluent English speaker