Useful Group is looking for a designer with a passion for website design. In this role, you will collaborate with our design team, developers, and content strategists to ideate, plan, and create unique, custom, and user-focused website designs.
While web design would be the designer’s focus, that does not exclude working on projects in other areas of design. Your work may include design on a variety of other projects, including marketing graphics, podcast cover design, print and digital ads, brochures, presentations, typeset resources, and visual branding.
Useful Group exists to make great missions more effective. We’re a team of strategists, creatives, and problem solvers serving organizations and individuals committed to making the world a better place. We specialize in strategy, branding, marketing, web development, and creative production.
Our clientele represent a range of industries, backgrounds, and ideologies, including some Christian ministries and non-profits. While occasional exceptions can be made, applicants should be comfortable working with clients who may or may not share your same beliefs.
As a designer on Useful Group’s design team you will:
- Work closely with other designers, content strategists, and developers to plan and execute high-quality, custom website designs and experiences
- Conduct research into clients and their industries as well as design trends and requirements in order to begin shaping the website design
- Gain an understanding of the site goals, audience/users values, etc. in order to create well-informed solutions
- Stay up to date on website trends and new practices
- Brainstorm and wireframe a website’s sitemap, flow, and layouts
- Prototype and create high-fidelity design page mockups
- Create desktop view mockups
- Create and/or communicate how a desktop layout would adjust for responsive views
- Participate in project team critiques to give and receive constructive feedback
- Work within deadlines
- Communicate with clients when needed to pitch, explain, guide, etc.
Experience / Proficiencies
- Experience creating custom, high-quality, user-focused web design layouts that are creative, push boundaries, and go beyond what could be considered a templated approach
- Experience extending a visual brand identity into website design through use of color, typography, brand elements, etc.
- Experience creating sitemaps, prototypes, and wireframes
- Experience or knowledge in user-testing and accessibility is a bonus
- A bachelor’s degree in visual communications (graphic design) or the equivalent is required. The portfolio should show a strong understanding of foundational design skills (typography, color theory, layout, hierarchy, etc.) as well as web design best practices.
- 3-5 years of experience working within the design industry is preferred.
- Preferably able to work in person at the Aurora, Illinois office at least 1-2 times per week or as necessary in order to collaborate with the designers and other team members
- Proficient in the Adobe Suite (especially XD and Illustrator with Photoshop and InDesign knowledge also being helpful) and Google Workspace
- Able to create custom iconography and other vector graphics is a bonus
- Knowledge of Basecamp 3 is a bonus
Our ideal candidate is …
- Able to juggle multiple projects at once
- Skilled in collaboration and working within a team
- Flexible, adapting to changing processes depending on the needs of the client
- Comfortable educating clients on a direction that’s best for their audience
- Empathetic and thoughtful, seeking to understand the client’s desires
- Ready to advocate for their design with self-assurance and take constructive criticism
- A creative and conceptual thinker
Useful Group offers …
- Competitive salary
- Health and dental insurance plans available for you and your family
- Flexible work hours
- Work from anywhere
- The prioritization of healthy work-life balance
- Generous, flexible vacation policy
- Project timelines that take your capacity and capabilities into account
- Work with a wide range of clients in various industries